Sunday, July 17, 2011

EDVARD MESS


EDVARD MESS


Edvard Mess (Michał Edward Szlasa) is a new figure in the Polish fashion. This year, graduated from the International School of Fashion Design and Costume in Warsaw, a collection of “Grenouille” is his debut. I had an opportunity to make a short interview with Edvard.
Fashioner: What inspired you in your first collection?
Edvard Mess: “Grenouille” collection is inspired by gore films, body modifications, BDSM and Marilyn Manson and Lady Gaga music videos. Based on deformations and performative figure depicts the phenomenon of the blurring of gender. Hence the man is carrying in his belly a baby.
Red elements of the collection are a kind of anti jewellery simulating drip blood, pus swollen blisters or are projecting pieces of the human guts. Collection is intended to show that fashion can go beyond its framework and become a kind of artistic spectacle.
Fashioner: Your collection is very avant-garde.  Are you thinking about the future of design in a similar fashion, or it will be more universal design?
Edvard Mess: It seems to me that I will be forced to compromise. Taking the fashion avant-garde is a great pleasure for me but I planned that in the future fashion will be the main source of my income.
Then I will focus on collections typically sensible by creating them in their own style. Deceive myself that it is possible – time will tell.
Fashioner: Your collection is addressed to men. Do you plan also projects for women?
Edvard Mess: Of course, I’m not going to be limited. During the time I will see in what kind of designs I feel better and then undertake a final decision.
Fashioner: What kind of person can wear Edvard Mess designs?
Edvard Mess: First of all, for someone who understands my approach to fashion.  Additionally, must have a lot of courage in our country being a maverick is still met with mindless criticism.
Fashioner: What are your future plans?
Edvard Mess: I recently graduated from the International School of Fashion Design and Costume. Now I have a lot of free time during which I would like to work as a stylist. In my opinion the occupation should give the pleasure.
Fashioner: Who inspires Edvard Mess?
Edvard Mess: First of all, life and personal experiences. But mainly cinema, music and photography (in the first place Erwin Olaf and Steven Klein). And as for the designer is Jeremy Scott, Martin Margiela, Rei Kawakubo, and, of course, Gareth Pugh.
Fashioner: Where can we buy your designs?
Edvard Mess: Nowhere at this moment. These are single pieces. I have already lend a few items from my collection, which is great. I would like to promote the collection first, then take up sewing or selling something on the order.
Thank you for the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment